Welcome to UBCD Insert
Last modified 09-23-04: Charles Appel
UBCD Insert is INSERT Version 1.2.14 modified
for Ultimate Boot CD.
UBCD Insert is intended for the advanced user that is already familiar with Linux and
It is beyond the scope of these documents (or this author's ability) to introduce a user to many of the features
Knoppix related distributions provide. If you would like to learn more or get started with Linux, the best place
to start would be to download Knoppix.
For those not familiar with flux, right click on the Fluxbox desktop for the menu.
UBCD Insert comes with absolutely no warranty of any kind. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! Some of the utilities
provided may cause serious damage or even data loss; with or without bugs.
Before You Burn...
You may want to take the time to review these documents, particularly Customization and Persistence,
Modules and Cheatcodes before burning your ISO. You may end up
wanting to add to your CD for more functionality.
Original INSERT 1.2.14 Start Page
Change Log from INSERT Version 1.2.14
Customization and Persistence
Thanks and Credits
Troubleshooting and how to report problems
List of things to do
- fbdesk 1.1.5
- nessus 2.0.10a-6
- nmap 3.50-1 and nmapfe
- gpg 1.2.6
- smartmontools 5.32
- 7za .91 for Linux (7-Zip)
- rdesktop 1.3.1-1
- xvncviewer 3.3.7-1
- sylpheed .9.12-1
- hping2 2.rc3-3
- netcat 1.10-23
- netsed .01c-2
- ngrep 1.40.1-3
- cpio 2.5-1.1
- samba 3.0.5 (with smbd)
- gRun .92
- Qtparted 0.4.4
- Monkey web server 0.8.4 F2
- All Knoppix 3.4 wireless card drivers
Changes from INSERT 1.2.14
- Added support for UBCD Insert modules
- Added some cheatcodes and an additional way to read them.
- Modifications of some symlinks for UBCD
- Removed all software out of /usr/local
- Updated ClamAV signatures to Daily 488 (09-13-04)
- sysklogd no longer runs by default. Run it from the flux menu.
- Modified Flux theme as uFlux to change menu for easier reading
- Added ~./bin to the beginning of the PATH environment variable
- Removed 'usecaptive' and wrote 'startcaptive' for easier use.
- Modified /etc/init.d/iptables to support multiple configurations
- All persistent files on removable media are now in /INSERT
- Probably many little things I didn't take the time to write down!
Fixes for INSERT 1.2.14
- Fixed missing /var/iptables directory
- Fixed mkpersistenthome failure to copy correct home
- Fixed a few bugs with fluxbox menu
- Fixed warnings in rkhunter
- Compensated for double 'insert' files /etc/sysconfig
- Nessus takes a while to load. It does not appear to be an issue of
excessive reading of the CD or CPU utilization. It seems to be in the
loading of the nessusd daemon. All CD based distros with nessus I've
seen seem to have the same issue.
- gRun .92 was kind of broken with using the --preload command line
option. I made some changes and recompiled to fix this as well as
allow the user to hit the ESC key to exit gRun. The patch can be found
in /usr/share/doc/grun. gRun won't show you a window for console only
applications, unless you add them to a file. See the README in /usr/share/doc/grun.
- There are no helper scripts for running the Samba daemon. To this
end, you'll want to edit the /etc/samba/smb.conf file to your liking, then
run smbpasswd -a USERNAME before starting the daemon.
- The default filters for iptables, found in /var/lib/iptables/default are
wide open, modify to suit your needs before starting iptables.
Victor Chew for creating
Ultimate Boot CD.
Matthias Mikuletz for his work on INSERT
and his willingness to discuss problems.
Klaus Knopper for
Linus Torvalds for
All the developers that created software found on UBCD Insert!
Since UBCD Insert is based on the work of many people, you may need to
visit several places to get your problem resolved. First, check out the Change
Log to see if your issue relates to anything we may have added to INSERT; if
so, please check and post to the Ultimate Boot CD forums
on SourceForge. If not, visit the INSERT
home page and check for issues there. Lastly, since INSERT is based on
Knoppix, visit the Knoppix Forums.
If your problem relates to a specific piece of software included in INSERT,
check that author's web page for specific troubleshooting procedures.
One of the most common problems with Knoppix related distributions is a
failure to boot or a hang on initialization. Most of these problems can be
resolved with "cheatcodes" entered in at the INSERT boot prompt.
For example, to disable power management, you would type in
noapm at the INSERT boot prompt. See here for
more information on troubleshooting with cheatcodes.
If you would like to request software be added to UBCD Insert, please
post to the Ultimate Boot CD developer
forum. Please note the following:
- The software must be open source or free with source code.
- The software must assist in the troubleshooting, diagnosis or repair of
- Can't be too big!
At this time, I'm not adding software that requires Gtk2 libraries since it
will add significantly to the size of the UBCD iso.
- Add more documentation
- Create a Samba daemon helper script
- gRun is a little buggy when moving the cursor to various parts of
displayed text. The code could use a lot of clean up and fixes.
- Rewrite insert-autoconfig: it's getting out of hand...
- Perhaps implement file system translucency or an overlay filesystem